Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Animals They Know YOU!!



I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS! I WOULDN'T DO THIS!! DON'T DO THIS IT MAY LOOK PRETTY NEAT BUT BEARS ARE WONDERFUL WILD ANIMALS AND you NEED TO BE CAUTIOUS. WHAT HAPPENS IS THE BEARS STOP BEING CAUTIOUS OF HUMANS AND ONCE THEY DO THAT, THEY RUN A VERY HIGH RISK OF GETTING KILLED! HAVE AND BE RESPECTFUL, YOU ARE IN THERE FOREST, AND ON THEIR LAND.

I was visiting my Elder Friend Aunty Dora (she was 80 something at the time and West Coast First Nations) had said to me over tea, "How do you feel about the Bush (Slang for: Forest) ?" I'd remembered the Wizard of Oz and quoted the Tin Man when ask the same questions "Oh Aunty, Lions, and Tigers and Bears oh my!!" She laughed at me, "Oh you don't need to worry about the animals, they know you." I smiled back her and nodded the whole time thinking, Wow, nice thing to tell a white guy. Hahaha! Seriously if Aunty Dora says it, well it must be true. She was that strong but I wasn't going to test that theory! No way. I'll listen but I've lived by the Bush my whole life and have the greatest respect for Wildlife. Thats exactly what these beautiful creatures are WILD! and I'm domesticated rural human, my experience is always always be cautious when going into the Bush, the forest the back country...ALWAYS. No matter what a 80 wonderfully wise old Native Elder Tells you. I thought to myself after Aunty Dora told me this, Well I don't have to worried I won't have to test this because I'm never in a place where that will happen.

Years later after Aunty Dora had died, I was way way up in the Back Country camping with a girl friend at the time. We'd walked down this logging road, in the middle of a clear cut (ugly mess) headed to a glacier fed river we thought we'd like to have a wee afternoon dip in. It was hot and in the middle of summer and in the middle of the afternoon. So experience suggest that most wild animals do not move around at that time they usually wait till dusk or dawn, that's when you are most likely to see Wildness.

We'd finished our swim and where quite happily walking back, hand in hand, and chatting and laughing, generally focus on ourselves and not paying attention until..we rounded the corner and coming towards us was this 3 year old Brown Bear. Now any Bear is a scare especially one in the way to were you want to go, some 20 yards down the logging road. He stopped dead in his tracks when he saw us and so did we. There we both were and the Bear and I bet he was as terrified as we where. Human encounters do end well for Wildness. I think they tell eachother,  "If you encounter a human, run the other way!" We all just stood there looking at eachother not knowing what to do and then I heard Aunty Dora voice in my head, "Don't worry the animals they know you." And the Bear turns its head and his ears perk up, as if he had her too. I instantly calmed down as the Bear lifted it's paw to move, I suspect towards us I said, "Come on my friend, you heard the lady, you know me, off you go." And he did, to my great surprise! My girlfriend was very impressed, "OMG, How'd you do that!" I laughed "Oh that, well my friend Native Elder friend Aunty Dora had told me that "The Animals they knew me and I shouldn't have a need to be afraid."

This hasn't been the first Wildness encounter I've had. I've encountered Dolphins, Seals, A Huge Ass American Buffalo, Coyotes, Raven's, Crows and more Bears (I live right next to the Wilderness so Bears are very common) and they seem to know me. It's been extraordinary but I'm still very cautious and do not like to put what Aunty Dora to the test. I think its healthier that way but If I ever need help I'm sure I'll call for my friends.

Duende (c)


No comments:

Post a Comment